Saturday, October 2, 2010

Week 6- Media and Information Literacy

This week I learned about reading through the use of media and images which is called visual literacy. I watched a few videos on youtube that explained why visual literacy was important and how it can be incorporated into the classroom. I was also able to view some examples of visual literacy through videos and images. I learned about how to use photoshop and how it can be used to alter images. I was also able to view examples of other visual literacy projects so that I could be thinking of some ideas of my own.

I can use visual literacy in my own classroom one day because I can create videos with images and text to teach the class some of the concepts that I want to teach them as an alternative of verbally teaching them. These videos can be used as visual aides for the students who learn better through seeing in stead of hearing. I could even incorporate audio into the videos so that it could be beneficial for the students who learn visually and/or through audio.



This video that I found on youtube uses visual literacy in it to teach the viewer about how a teacher can incorporate visual literacy in the subject area that he or she teaches. Images of historical events can be used in a history class to help the students better understand the event that they are studying. Graphs and charts such as the periodic table can be used in math and science classes so that the students can learn these subjects through using visual aides as well. This video goes along with what I learned this week of why visual literacy is important and how it is used in society today.

No comments:

Post a Comment